Position: Full Professor
Andres Jimenez Guerrero
andresjimenez (at) ub.edu
Early stage researcher
Prof. Antoni Camins Espuny
Department of Farmacologia i química terapèutica
Faculty of Pharmacy and Food Sciences, Av. de Joan XXIII, 27-31
08028 Barcelona (Spain)
camins (at) ub.edu
In recent years we have demonstrated in the APPSwe / PS1dE9 mice model of Alzheimer’s a relationship between alterations in the metabolism specifically, type 2 diabetes mellitus and an advancement and contributes to development and progression of the Alzheimer’s disease. Thus treatment of APPSwe / PS1dE9 mice with a high fat diet favours disease worsening and memory loss. Currently, we have demonstrated changes in transcripts and proteins involved in the insulin pathway in the hippocampus of the APPSwe / PS1dE9 mice a familial model of Alzheimer’s disease. Moreover, we have detected disturbances in intracellular signalling pathways downstream of prolactin and leptin receptors, JAK/STAT signalling, as well as abnormalities in cholesterol metabolism in the hippocampi of APPSwe / PS1dE9 mice between the 3 and 6 months of age. Alzheimer’s disease is also associated with the decrease in insulin levels in the central nervous system and alterations of insulin receptors and downstream pathway in the brain. Defects in insulin signaling / IGF-1 affect PI3K / Akt causing neurodegeneration process. Besides the alteration of glucose transporters at the brain or decrease its expression in the brain of Alzheimer’s patients may cause a lower glucose metabolism in the brain and cause lower reduced mitochondrial metabolism and ATP production.
· Petrov D, Pedrós I, Artiach G, Sureda FX, Barroso E, Pallàs M, Casadesús G, Beas-Zarate C, Carro E, Ferrer I, Vazquez-Carrera M, Folch J, Camins A.High-fat diet-induced deregulation of hippocampal insulin signalling and mitochondrial homeostasis deficiencies contribute to Alzheimer disease pathology in rodents. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015 Sep;1852(9):1687-99.
· Petrov D, Luque M, Pedrós I, Ettcheto M, Abad S, Pallàs M, Verdaguer E, Auladell C, Folch J, Camins A.Evaluation of the Role of JNK1 in the Hippocampus in an Experimental Model of Familial Alzheimer’s Disease. Mol Neurobiol. 2015 Nov 12. [Epub ahead of print].
· Ettcheto M, Junyent F, de Lemos L, Pallas M, Folch J, Beas-Zarate C, Verdaguer E, Gómez-Sintes R, Lucas JJ, Auladell C, Camins A.Mice Lacking Functional Fas Death Receptors Are Protected from Kainic Acid-Induced Apoptosis in the Hippocampus. Mol Neurobiol. 2015 Aug;52(1):120-9.
· Bayod S, Felice P, Andrés P, Rosa P, Camins A, Pallàs M, Canudas AM. Downregulation of canonical Wnt signaling in hippocampus of SAMP8 mice. Neurobiol Aging. 2015 Feb;36(2):720-9.
· Pedrós I, Petrov D, Allgaier M, Sureda F, Barroso E, Beas-Zarate C, Auladell C, Pallàs M, Vázquez-Carrera M, Casadesús G, Folch J, Camins A.Early alterations in energy metabolism in the hippocampus of APPswe/PS1dE9 mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014 Sep;1842(9):1556-66.