Position: Associate professor
Prof. Teresa Kirchner Nebot
Psicología Clínica y Psicobiología
Faculty of Psychology, Passeig Vall d’Hebron 171
08035 Barcelona (Spain)
tkirchner (at) ub.edu
For some time the group is researching about the psychological impact inherent to different situations of potential psychopathological risk: receiving diagnosis of multiple sclerosis, emigrate to another country, start an IVF treatment, be deprived of liberty by imprisonment. We analyzed the role of coping strategies, coping typologies and tested their mediational role.
It has also studied the issue of self-harming behavior and suicidal ideation in both community adolescents and adolescents from a clinical setting diagnosed with adjustment disorder. We analyzed the prevalence of this phenomenon, the methods used by adolescents and the implicit psychological functions of these acts. The psychosocial and psychological variables involved, especially the personality profile of greater vulnerability, are of special importance. Another line of research focuses in to analyze the psychological impact of victimization and poly-victimizations in adolescents. Our interest is to identify some variables involved and to test the mediational effect of various psychological variables. The latest line of the research group is based on Ecological momentary assessment. Ecological momentary assessment (EMA) involves the repeated assessment of behavior in the here and now, in both natural settings and real time. The study of day-to-day and contextual fluctuations in emotional states is an important issue in the field of psychopathology. These issues are especially relevant in research involving adolescents, since they are at a developmental stage characterized by numerous internal and external changes that may produce fluctuations in mood states.
· Kirchner, T.; Muñoz, D.; Forns, M.; Peñarubia, J.; Balash, J. (2011). Identifying by means of coping typologies and primary appraisal the likelihood of positive b-hCG test results in women undergoing IVF treatment: a preliminary study. Human Reproduction. 26 (5), 1138 – 1143
· Kirchner, T.; Forns, M.; Mohíno, S. (2008). Identifying the Risk of Deliberate Self-Harm Among Young Prisoners by Means of Coping Typologies Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior., 38 (4) 442- 448.
· Kirchner, T; Lara S. (2011). Stress and depression symptoms in patients with multiple sclerosis: the mediating role of social functioning. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, 123 (6), 407-413. DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0404.2010.01422.x
· Kirchner, T.; Forns, M.; Soler, L.; Planellas, I. (2014). Post-Traumatic Stress Problems Among Poly-Victimized Spanish Youth: Time Effect of Past vs. Recent interpersonal victimizations. Child Abuse & Neglect , 38 (8), 1301-1312.
· Ferrer, L.; Kirchner, T. (2015). Suicidal tendency among adolescents with Adjustment Disorder: risk and protective personality factors. Crisis – The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention , 36 (2) 202- 210