IV ANNUAL PHD WORKSHOP
On the 29th of November 2019, the Institute of Neurosciences of the University of Barcelona hosted the IV annual PhD Workshop at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at Campus Bellvitge. In addition to our own members, we proudly welcomed guests from our partner organization, the Achucarro Basque Center for Neuroscience
The day started with an opening ceremony by Dr. José Luis Rosa López, Research Vice-Dean of the Faculty, and Dr. Raúl Estévez Povedano, member of the Board of Directors of the Institute of Neurosciences. The opening ceremony was followed by oral presentations:
- Jon Landa Medrano – “Immunological findings of the anti-IgLON5 disease”.
- Laura Bayón Cordero – “Analysis of the role of GABAB receptor in oligodendrocytedifferentiation and myelination in vivo”.
- Diana C. Díaz Cruz – “Differences in reported rates of mind wandering are associated with divergent exploitation of environmental information in creative problem solving”.
- Helena Vall Roqué – “The relationship between appearance-focused social network sites use and body image concerns”.
- Marina Bartolomé Valenzuela – “An invisible reality or an ignored minority? Victimization and poly-victimization experiences among people with mental illness in Spain”.
- Nadia Paraskevoudi – “Effects of actions on encoding and retrieval of sounds: Physiological mechanisms”.
- Anna Sancho Balsells – “Identification of altered specific neuronal subpopulations in stress- induced major depression”.
- Sara Conde Berriozabal – “Repeated optogenetic stimulation of corticostriatal pathway ameliorates Huntington’s disease symptoms: from synaptic efficacy to network”
The day also included two sessions of poster presentations where all students could showcase their work and network with fellow students.
The plenary lecture was given by Dr. Jimena Baleriola from the Achucarro Basque Center for Neuroscience. Dr. Baleriola conducted a session named “Local translation: the whats and whys of decentralized regulation of gene expression…. and what-nots”. The afternoon started with Jordi Naval, CEO of BioCat presenting a session named “Life Beyond Post-Graduate”. This session was followed by a workshop on Body Language for Scientists conducted by executive coach Brian McCarthy.
The workshop was concluded with an award ceremony that honored two PhD students for the best oral and poster presentations. We congratulate Nadia Paraskevoudi for the presentation “Effects of actions on encoding and retrieval of sounds: Physiological mechanisms” , awarded “Best Oral Presentation,” and Marc Lopez for the poster “Improving opioid pain treatment: light-activated morphine”, awarded “Best Poster Presentation.”
After the workshop PhD students enjoyed a concert with The Rayberis.
We thank organizers from the Institute of Neurosciences Jordi Alberch, Cristina Pulido, Marta Turró, and members of the PhD Committee Oriol Busquets, Marta Riba Baques, Lidia Vaque Alcazar, Carla Castany Pladevall, Alicia Georghiades, Esther García García, Josep Argerich and Ana Martina Greco, for their dedication to making this year’s PhD workshop a success, and invite PhD students interested in serving on the PhD Committee of next year’s edition to get in touch with us by contacting email@example.com.